KC Home Dad

Monday, December 11, 2006

"Stitch"

"If the FBI ever fingerprints her, she'll be guilty of something," my dad said.

You see, my 2-year old has an unbelievable amount of curiosity, and that's putting it nicely. Really, she has to touch E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!! As I am telling her to stop touching this thing, she is already touching that thing. She's obsessed!



My oldest daughter says, "She destroys everything she touches." Hence my 2-year old's nickname: Stitch.






Friday night we're visiting my parents. My mom has a beautiful home that is for adults. It is a perfect place for Stitch. Mom has all kinds of cute trinkets on coffee tables, end tables, desks...everywhere. And the best (or worst) part is that they are just at Stitch's level. And she obliges by touching E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!!

"Get out of there!" I holler. "Quit that!" I yell. "Will you stop touching that!" I implore. Too late, she's already touched something else.

Then it happened - she got hurt.

She grabbed a snow globe off an end table that was too heavy for her to lift so it fell and landed right on her big toe, breaking into a hundred pieces. She screamed. At first I thought the glass had cut her, but she wasn't bleeding. She kept screaming. Something must hurt really bad because Stitch is tough and rarely cries more than a minute when she gets hurt.
Then I noticed her big toe. It was black. And it was getting swollen. I grabbed a bag of peas out of the freezer and put it on her toe. She stopped crying in a couple of minutes. Maybe she has learned a lesson here, I thought.
"I should probably take her to the doctor tomorrow morning," I said.

"But she only cried for about 5 minutes. It must not hurt that bad," my dad said.

"Yeah, but she has NEVER cried that long."

So the next morning we went to the doctor and he said her toe wasn't broken. "I can poke a hole in her toe to relieve the swelling, but she won't like it. Besides, with some ibuprofen, it probably won't bother her for long."

I decided not to do the toe poke and, sure enough, the doctor was right, Stitch was back to touching E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G as soon as we got back to my parent's house.






Lesson NOT learned.

1 Comments:

  • My son is in to everything, but 'stitch' seems to be more extreme than he is. Thanks for a post to make me feel better. ;-)

    By Blogger Bill Ekhardt, at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home